Lies of Omission

Lies of Omission
An Amazing Documentary

Monday, May 29, 2017

The Formula

To those who have asked and who are praying for my recovery, let me say thank you. It is difficult, I won't lie. Something about having your foot broken off is not an easy thing from which to recover, but as I lay in my bed awaiting my next surgery, hopefully on Thursday, I am not sulking in my bad fortune, but rather recognize this as a Memorial Day reflective pause.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I have family around to help out. My mother and wife have been invaluable to me, not just now, but in all of my life. I feel like a burden and keep my requests as few and far between as I can. But, also, I think of our veterans who have suffered much more than I will ever suffer. I am not lying in a VA hospital with its infamously poor care and rationed care (basically Obamacare). I am not in Afghanistan or Iraq, thousands of miles from people who value my presence. My foot will be screwed back on (one bone left) and I will walk on my own feet again. This is much more than many of our veterans will be able to say.

And then, as I lay here, I think of what we have done to the nation for which these brave veterans have sacrificed life and limb and I am ashamed. It doesn't matter how much I have tried to preserve the liberties so casually shrugged off by our leaders and our citizens as well, I have failed to preserve them.

While visiting David Codrea, just prior to my accident, I talked of the film Lies of Omission with his boys. We talked of the value of liberty, of how if the leaders had ever once tried to defend these liberties what different lives they might be living. They, logically and intelligently, asked if it were not too late for a film like Lies of Omission to have any impact. Okay, they have me there. I had to admit that I didn't know, perhaps, but it was not too late to impart the value of those liberties and the need for young people like them to understand the efforts that have been undertaken to preserve them.

Ultimately, when there is a decision to be made as to what sort of society comes after this one, those that will offer anything other than virtual enslavement will be those societies who recognize that no matter how ill-defended, or how easily alienated, the society that values those liberties will be the one to build the strongest, most prosperous society.

Initially, yes, the most evil, violent and dictatorial society will flourish in the chaos, but it always comes down to who is fighting for what. Those fighting because they must, because they will be strung up by their officers if they don't will never fight as hard as those who fight for themselves, their lives and their dreams. Promising liberty at the end of the slog will always drive soldiers harder than the promise of punishment for failure. These are two completely different dynamics.

So, yes, we must own up to the fact that at this point in time we have failed to secure liberty to ourselves and our posterity. That those sent out to fight for freedom over the centuries have been betrayed by the insufficiently patriotic at home. That we have willingly allowed all they fought for to go undefended against the usurpers and dedicated destructionists of liberty at home.

But, anything as diseased as the system of corruptocracy that we endure at present cannot last. It will fall of its own weight, bankrupt by its own corruption, but we will always have a set of principles that can spring liberty back to life at the first opportunity. It is not so much the words on paper that will bring liberty back to life, but the understanding that within individual liberty lies the power to propel 13 small colonies to the pinnacle of world power in 200 years. That is the lesson they cannot obscure with all of their regulations and pronouncements that hobbled that innate power until it succumbed to top-heavy bureaucracy. Liberty will always produce the engine. It is a formula lying out there to be put to work whenever enough people come together to utilize it.  

11 comments:

  1. great post. I wish you a speedy recovery. And thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we've all been betrayed by the corruption and festering putrescent toads in DC.

    That so many don't recognize that is incredibly alarming to me.

    Speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speedy recovery. Thank you for all you do.
    -Survivor

    ReplyDelete
  4. TL, I lost my leg below the knee in 1986 in a motorcycle accident. I was in the hospital for months, had 20 surgeries trying to save my leg. Ten months after the accident, I finally had it removed. Had I known, I wouldn't have wasted the time. I lost maybe 20% of my mobility, still played racquetball, tennis and today still walk my dog several miles. Had I kept it, just walking with a cane would have been a major accomplishment. I hope your leg is in better shape than mine was, but if it isn't be honest with yourself. If it has to go, don't worry it's not that bad. Doctors won't tell you the truth - you have to ask them flat out "what would YOU do if this was your leg?". I finally had the brains to ask my orthopedic surgeon that question before heading to Texas for therapy in a hyperbaric chamber (at the time increased oxygen was believed to help the bones heal) and after a really really long pause he finally answered honestly. I scheduled the amputation that day and really haven't looked back. Sorry to be this blunt but you have to know you're going to be OK no matter what the outcome is - with or without that leg, and the honest truth may be that you'd be better without it at this point. Good luck, I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My surgeon has seen my type of injury numerous times, fairly common in auto accidents and from jumping from too high a ledge. He has one more surgery and I will begin to heal. But, don't think I have not thought through how much my foot is worth and whether keeping it is worth it. Thanks for your insight.

      Delete
  5. T L good luck with your next surgery and take the time needed to recover properly. My father spent the better part of a year in hospitals first in England and then in Colorado after his injuries in Germany in WWII. He lived a long life and a good life but carried many scars both physical and spiritual. He made semi annual trips to the VA most of his life due to his injuries. Those trips were a constant frustration for him and I hope that the government finally gets our veteran's care right.

    Take care of yourself and if you need anything just ask.

    Sawman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking we can change the course of events may be the problem.
    Vanity, pride, fear.
    We have forgotten the (God willing) portion of our daily lives.
    We were told the direction this world would take us. Seeing that we too have been led astray is part of the healing process.
    Becoming 'set-apart' is the opposite of jumping in the earthly blender.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a published and produced writer, a novelist, a freelance writer, a playwright and blogger.